Charles A. Berkey is credited with the founding of this great organization. At his suggestion, the name “Exchange” was selected because the group wanted to “exchange ideas and information with like-minded individuals about how to better serve their communities. “
The first local Exchange Club was formed in Detroit, MI in 1911. The second was the Exchange Club of Toledo, OH in 1913. Then two others organized in Grand Rapids, MI and Cleveland, OH. These four clubs were the first to be chartered by The National Exchange Club after it was organized as a nonprofit, educational organization in 1917.
Exchange Clubs sponsor activities under the organization’s Programs of Service: Americanism, Youth Programs, Community Service and their National Project, the Prevention of Child Abuse.